FTP Test

• Doing your FTP Test is important if you are starting up with MaximumTrainer.
    This test will determine your current Functional Threshold Power (FTP) and your Lactate Theshold Heart Rate (LTHR). FTP is a pretty good indicator of your current fitness level.

To do this test, you'll need to have a power source (either a Power Meter or a Power Curve).
    If you want to also get the result of your LTHR, you'll need to use an Heart Rate strap during the workout.

If you haven't done any test before, MaximumTrainer set your base FTP to 150 in your profile, so you may want to lower that a little bit if you feel you are out of shape before doing your first test.

The test is straightforward, just try to follow the green power boxes and the indications on screen. The result of your test will be shown at the end of the workout and automatically update the value in your profile. Remember that if it's your first test, we don't know your fitness level yet so don't worry about being in the green boxes or not, just try to follow the effort level asked on screen.
    Good luck! :)

See this video for more details:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-m75NK5r9U

• Maximum Trainer,
    I performed my FTP test for the site. I have a Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro Trainer. I think the power curve is way off. my FTP was in the 190s. I weigh 175 pounds, and I have estimated my FTP around 250 based off Strava rides and programs like Zwift. I am looking at getting a Power Meter in the future so that I could get some hard data on this, but I was wondering if there was anything you guys could do to look into that. Let me know. Thanks. Great job with the program though. It is pretty neat.

• @devin
    Hey there,
    First thing you should check is that you are getting correct speed inside MT. If the speed is incorrect then the power will also be. In order to have good speed you have to specify your correct Wheel circumference in the "Gear" tab under "Speed".
    Other than that, maybe the formula used is different, we use this formula to calculate power for the Cyclops JetFluid:
    formula1.png
    Thanks!

• @admin said:

@devin
    Hey there,
    First thing you should check is that you are getting correct speed inside MT. If the speed is incorrect then the power will also be. In order to have good speed you have to specify your correct Wheel circumference in the "Gear" tab under "Speed".

Is 2100mm a standard wheel size for a 700c wheel? Will +/- 5mm skew the speed?

• @Miguel
    Yes the wheel circumference is really important when using a speed sensor to calculate speed and power, a few millimeters won't make a big difference but if you want the most realistic data I would double-check.

You can check out this sheet for reference.
    Myself, I prefer to measure the wheel once it's inflated to my desired PSI using this method (see post 2)